MMA Gospel’s Technique of the Week returns this week with the end of the three move chain that started with a simple outside leg trip takedown. This week, Hapkido master Ed Perdomo and his assistant Johnny Rodriguez demonstrate an armbar submission from back control, using Johnny’s defense against last weeks rear naked choke as the set up. As with every move in our Technique of the Week chains, the move this week is directly influenced by the technique covered in the previous weeks article. Here at MMA Gospel, we are dedicated to building better fighters and a more informed fan base through detailed descriptions of how the techniques we see in the cage work.
- Use your opponent’s defense against him by using his resistance to the choke to easily secure an over-hook.
- Create space by pushing your opponent’s head up and away from you with your free hand.
- Spin on your hips underneath your opponent towards your over-hook.
- Release the pressure against your opponent’s head to create the opening to bring your outside leg arounnd your opponent’s head.
- Once you have established the position, clench your knees together without crossing your feet and move both hands to wrist control.
- Turn your opponents thumb away from you and extend your hips.
This completes the current three technique arch of MMA Gospels Technique of the Week. Next week, MMA Gospel will bring the readers a new set of grappling techniques courtesy of Ed Perdomo, Johnny Rodriguez, and the Hapkido Institute.
*Ed Perdomo is a 4th degree black belt in the Korean grappling art of Hapkido and is head instructor of the Hapkido Institute in Morris, IL.